Luxor the Ancient City
The History of Luxor
Luxor is a city located in Upper Egypt that is exactly on the site of the Ancient Egyptian city of Thebes. It is considered to be the greatest open-air museum in the whole world because of its recherché touristic landmarks that attract tourists from around the world such as the gorgeous Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut Temple, Colossi of Memnon, and splendid Karnak Temple. Discover all info about Luxor city below:
- 1. Luxor Location
- 2. Luxor Facts
- 3. Luxor Climate
- 4. Best Time to Visit Luxor
- 5. Best Attractions of Luxor
- 6. Things to Do in Luxor
Where is Luxor Located?
Luxor is located on the east bank in the River Nile in southern Egypt, 25.70 latitudes, and 32.64 longitudes, at elevation 89 meters above sea level. It has a population of 422,407.
Interesting Facts About Luxor
Luxor was located in the site of Thebes, the ancient capital of Upper Egypt during the Modern kingdom and the magnificent city of Amun. Thebes was known as “The City of The Hundred Gates”, whose importance started with the 11th dynasty.
It played an important role in standing against the invading forces of Hyksos. This wonderful city was famous for its political, cultural, economic, and historical background.
Assyrian emperor Assurbanipal attacked the city. Alexander the Great reached the site and transferred the statue of Amun during the great religious feast.
The Climate of Luxor All Year-Round
Luxor has a hot climate just like the rest of Egypt. It has the most extreme temperature in comparison with other cities in Egypt that can rise above 40 Celsius in summer. Winter is often short and warm that makes winter the best time for visiting Luxor. Here are the average temperatures of Luxor along the year:
|Avg. Temperature (°C)||14.3||16||19.9||25.2||29.7||31.7||32.4||32.3||29.6||26.6||20.9||16.4|
|Min. Temperature (°C)||5.8||6.9||10.6||15.7||20.3||22.5||23.6||23.6||21.2||18.1||12.1||7.8|
|Max. Temperature (°C)||22.9||25.1||29.2||34.8||39.1||40.9||41.2||41||38.1||35.2||29.8||25|
Note: All the degrees are up for a slight chance due to sudden unexpected changes in the climate.
Best Time to Visit Luxor
The best time to visit Luxor is in January, February, March, November, and December. The warmest month is June and the coolest is January.
Explore the Best Attractions of Luxor
- Karnak Temples: It has a large mix of temples, chapels, and other buildings in Egypt.- Luxor Museum: has items from the tomb of Tutankhamun from the 18th dynasty and a collection of 26 New Kingdom statues.
- Hatshepsut Temple: The temple is an ancient example of pure visual architecture and one of Egypt’s unique monuments built by Queen Hatshepsut during the 18th dynasty during the new kingdom on the west bank of the Nile
- Luxor Temple: It is a large ancient Egyptian temple on the east bank of the River Nile. It has four main temples: (Hatshepsut Temple, Seti I Temple, the Temple of Ramses II, and the Temple of Ramses III ).
- The Valley of the Kings: It contains two valleys the East Valley (where you can find most of the Royal Tombs) and the West Valley, it is known for containing 63 tombs.
- The Valley of the Queens: It’s consists of the main Wadi, which contains most of the major tombs and main valleys. All its burials date back to the 18th dynasty.
- The Valley of the Nobles: It is located on the west bank of Luxor and it holds around 500 tombs of Theban Nobles and famous officials in ancient Egypt.
- Colossi of Memnon: It’s twin statues in a seated position that depict Amenhotep III. They have the height of 18m.
- Deir El-Bahari: It contains a group of mortuary temples and tombs. The first temple that was built there was the temple of Mentuhotep II.
- The Mummification Museum: It is a very important destination for tourists to discover more about the Mummification process and the items used in this magical process.
Best Things to Do While Being in Luxor
- Luxor Hot Air Balloon Ride: takes about 45 minutes before landing again in which you have the ability to go beyond the clouds to see everything.
- Trip to Aswan from Luxor: allows you to visit great Aswan Landmarks such as The High Dam, The Unfinished Obelisk, and Philae Temple.
- Trip to Kom Ombo and Edfu Temples: Kom Ombo is a place which was built on the honor of two deities the crocodile-headed Sobek. Edfu is dedicated to Horus that was built in the Ptolemaic Kingdom.
- Trip to Dandara and Abydos from Luxor: where you are going to find the best wall paintings and decorations in Egypt.
You can also discover more of splendid activities to do in Luxor by looking for our Luxor Day Tours, which offer unforgettable trips to Luxor sightseeing.
Experience All Egypt Attractions
Finally, knock on the history doors and discover the mysteries of Egypt on a few days through our Egypt tour packages. Explore the three pyramids of Giza which considered one of the seven wonders of the world. Witness the charming temples and tombs that founded in Luxor & Aswan by enjoying one of our Egypt Nile cruise packages. and don’t miss the chance to experience free days on one of the best resorts on the Red Sea such as Hurghada & Sharm El Sheikh.
Enjoy a Day Trip to Aswan from Luxor to Remember Joined by a...
Enjoy a magical day trip from Luxor to Cairo by plane with a...
Enjoy a day trip to Luxor east bank Attractions " Karnak and...
What Should I Wear While Being in Egypt?
You should wear whatever you want. It is advised to wear something light from cotton or linen, comfortable and put on sunblock during your time in Egypt in the summer and wear comfortable footwear like a closed-toe shoe to sustain the sandy terrain.
What to Pack for Your Egypt Tour?
You should bring a brimmed hat and sunglasses if you not used to the Egyptian sun &pack everything you could ever need and put in a small bag so you could move easily between your destinations.
Are All Nile Cruises Available at Any Time?
Yes, it is available all years. as the Nile from Aswan to Luxor takes three to four days of sailing on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the total cost of 600$ and the Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan take four to five days in Saturday, Monday and Thursday for the coast of 650$.
Why book Trips in Egypt?
We have experience in vacation planning for more than 10 years & our staff consists of the most professional operators, guides and drivers who dedicate all of their time & effort create the perfect vacation. All of our tours are customized by Travel, Financial & Time advisors to fit your every possible need during your time in egypt. we always keep in mind that your safety & comfort are our main priority until you return home.
Is it safe to travel to Egypt?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to travel to egypt, You will feel secure in Egypt as the current atmosphere of the country is very peaceful after the government took powerful measures like restructuring the entire tourist police to include all the important and tourist attractions in Egypt and construct an entire environment dedicated for ensuring the lives of all tourists.
What are Egypt's Visa Requirements?
They are very simples, If you want to apply for a Visa On Arrival that lasts for 30 days then you should be one of the eligible countries(check the link), have a valid passport with at least 6 months remaining and pay 25$ USD entry fee in cash. As for the E-Visa for 30 days, you should have a valid passport for at least 8 months, complete the online application, pay the e-visa fee then print the e-visa to later be presented to the airport border guard. You could be one of the countries eligible for a free visa for 90 days.
What is the Weather is Like?
The temperature of Egypt ranges from 37c to 14 c, Summer in Egypt is somehow hot and winter is cool and mild but sometimes it becomes cold at night. The average of low temperatures vary from 9.5 ¡ÆC in the wintertime to 23 ¡ÆC in the summertime and average high temperatures vary from 17 ¡ÆC in the wintertime to 32 ¡ÆC in the summertime while the temperature is moderate all along the coasts.
What is the Best Time of Visit Egypt?
It is known the best time to travel to Egypt is in the winter from September to April as the climate becomes a bit tropical, a warm atmosphere with a winter breeze. You will also be notified a week before your trip if the weather is unsafe or if any changes have been made.
Should I Give Tips in Egypt?
It is totally up to you, but if you choose to you can tip the servers at your restaurant 5-10% by handing it to them directly and 5 Egyptian Pounds as a general tip of anyone.
Can I Enter the Pyramids?
Yes, you can enter the pyramids for the small fee of 20$.
How to Enjoy Egypt During Ramadan?
Ramadan is a special time of year for Muslims that should be celebrated by non-Muslims and feel the essence of the Islamic culture. You can fast with the Muslim or just observe but you are always welcome to join the celebrations and festivals.